[ GMHC Press Release ]
The United States is Failing in the Fight Against AIDS
Come Demand Real Domestic Responses and Real Global Solutions!
Tuesday, July 9th Hall 5:7
SE04: Domestic Responses, Global Solutions
Support Safer Sex and Needle Exchange Prevention programs
Fully Fund AIDS Drug Assistance Programs
Donate $2.5 Billion to the Global Fund for AIDS, TB and Malaria!
On Sunday in Barcelona, Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson declared that the US government is committed to:
1. Reducing HIV incidence among American youth by 50% by the year 2010
2. Addressing racial and ethnic disparities driving the US AIDS epidemic, and
3. Providing sufficient support for domestic and international programs to reverse the HIV epidemic.
THESE ARE HOLLOW PROMISES. THE REAL BUSH AGENDA ON AIDS IS:
1. Attacking science-based prevention programs that talk frankly about sex and supporting abstinence-only prevention programs
2. Refusing to support needle exchange programs that have been proven to reduce the spread of AIDS
3. Denying 10,000 people with AIDS in the US access to antiretroviral therapy by refusing to support full funding for the US AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP)
4. Reducing the US donation to the Glabal Fund from $500 million to $200 million and restricting that donation to the prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV only.
SECRETARY THOMPSON, TELL THE PRESIDENT:
HOLLOW PROMISES, BAD POLICIES AND INSUFFICIENT FUNDS WON'T END THE AIDS EPIDEMIC !
African American AIDS Policy and Training Institute; AID for AIDS; AIDS Project Los Angeles; AIDS Vaccine Advocacy Coalition; African Services Committee; ACT UP/Philadelphia; Gay Men's Health Crisis; HealthGap; National Minority AIDS Council; Project Inform; Test Positive Aware Network; Treatment Action Group.
see also: Tommy Thompson Barcelona Zap
see also: Where is the $10 Billion Dollars for the Global Fund?
use back button on browser to return
back to> Barcelona AIDS Conference Reports > > >